Our group uses millimeter-wave telescopes at the South Pole to make measurements of the Cosmic Microwave Background, relic light that was emitted 380,000 years after the Big Bang. Using sensitive observations of CMB polarization at large angular scales, we search for the signature of primordial gravitational waves that may have been generated at the origin of our universe.
The Cincinnati CMB Group is part of the University of Cincinnati Department of Physics. Our research activities are funded by the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy Office of Science.
Read about our projects
- [CMB-S4] The next stage of cosmic microwave background research, Symmetry Magazine, October 2022.
- [CMB-S4] Exploring the CMB like never before, CERN Courier, March 2022.
- [BICEP/Keck] Squeezing down the Theory Space for Cosmic Inflation, Physics Magazine, October 2021.
- Prof. Colin Bischoff [CV]
- Christos Giannakopoulos — PhD student (5th year)
- Michael Zito — PhD student (4th year)
- Margaret Lautzenhiser — PhD student (2nd year)
- Pratush Mallik — PhD student (1st year)
- Lauren Bell — Undergrad (capstone)
- Eli Meisel — Undergrad
- Aedhan Scott — Undergrad
- Dr. Emma Hand — Physics PhD 2023 (thesis) → Procter & Gamble
- Varrick Bippus — Physics Undergrad 2023 (capstone)
- Ben Ellis — Physics Undergrad 2023 (capstone)
- Jeremy Webb — Physics Undergrad 2023 (capstone) → Raytheon
- Kyle Weeks — Physics Masters 2022 (thesis)
- Dr. Steve Palladino — Physics PhD 2021 (thesis) → Broadspire, Inc
- Francesca Gear — Physics Undergrad 2021 (capstone) → SATCO Inc
- Chad Skerbec — Physics Undergrad 2021 (capstone) → Syracuse Physics PhD
- Michael Ray — Physics Undergraduate 2021 → Stony Brook Physics MA → Munich Re
- Evan Powers — Physics Undergraduate 2021
- Chance Roberts — Physics Undergrad 2021 → Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Chanakya Pandya — High school research project 2020–2021 → Miami (OH) Physics
- Ranjit Sapkota — Physics Undergrad 2020 (capstone) → Trobus Technologies
- Tony Crawford — Physics Undergrad 2020 → Cincinnati Physics PhD
- Rajpreet Kaur — Physics Undergrad 2020 → Emory Physics PhD
- Dr. Caterina Umiltà — Cincinnati postdoc 2017–2019 → Illinois postdoc
- Hunter Fryman-Sinkhorn — Physics Masters 2019 (thesis) → St. Mary's (Halifax) Physics
- Josh Roberson — Physics Undergrad 2018 (capstone) → Cincinnati Physics PhD
- Sushmita Walve — Physics Undergrad 2018 (capstone) → ESDS Software Solution
- Jessica Kerby — Physics Masters 2017 → Oregon Inst of Tech → Pacific Northwest National Lab
- Doris Dolezal — Physics Undergrad 2017 (capstone) → Syracuse Math Masters
- Adam Heinemann — Physics Undergrad 2017 (capstone) → Syracuse Physics Masters