Af Uphading á Konungs
Concerning the Kings of Upper Hading
3. Hann var fæddr í Vestra-Gautlandi með þeim manni, er Bófi hét. | he | was | to have to do with, to have dealings with | in | Western Gautland | with | a certain | man | who | Bófi | was known as | He had dealings in West Gotland with a certain man who was called Bofi.
4. Saxi hét sonr Bófa, er kallaðr var flettir. | Knife | was called | son | of Bófi | who | is called | was | the plunderer | The son of Bofi was named Sax (knife), he was called the plunderer.
6. Álöf var móðir Gauthildar, dóttir Óláfs konungs skyggna, konungs af Næríki. | Alof | was | mother | of Gauthild | daughter | Olafs, of Olaf | king's, of the king | over-shadowed, surpassed | king | from | Naerik (Near Kingdom?) | Alof was the mother of Gauthild, daughter of King Olaf who surpassed the King of Naerik.
7. En þá er Ívarr víðfaðmi hafði lagt undir sik allt Danaveldi ok Svíaríki, þá flýði Óláfr ok mikill fjöldi þeira manna, er útlaga urðu fyrir Ívari konungi. | and | then | when | Ivar | extensive, far reaching | had | extending, covering | under | him | all the way | of the Danaveld | and, also | the Swedish kingdom | then | fled | Olaf | and, also | great, large, many | multitude, host | those | of men | were | outlawed, banished | became | for, on account of, because | proper noun, name: by Ivar | by the king | And then, when Ivar had under his far-reaching dominion all of the Danveld and the Swedish kingdom, then Olaf fled with a great multitude of men who were outlawed by King Ivar.
8. Þeir fara norðr um Væni ok ruddu þar markir ok byggðu þar stór heruð ok kölluðu þat Vermaland, ok kölluðu Svíar því Óláf trételgju, ok var hann þar konungr til elli. | they | travelled | north | over, during | Vaen | and, also | they cleared, settled, established | there | property boundaries | and, also | settled | there | here with heruð = great districts | estates, districts | and, also | were called | it | Vermaland, a place in Sweden | and, also | he was called | Swedes | that | Olaf | they felled trees | and, also | was | he | there | king | until | old age | They travelled north of the Vaen river and they cleared property boundaries and established there a great district and called it Vermaland, and Olaf was called Tree-hewer by the Swedes and was the king there into old age.
9. Kona hans hét Sölva. | wife | his | was called, was known as, was named | proper noun, name: Solva | His wife was called Solva.
11. Óláfr ok Sölva áttu tvá syni, hét annarr Ingjaldr, en annarr Hálfdan. | Olaf | and | proper noun, name: Solva | they raised | two | sons | was called, was known as, was named | the one | Ingjald | and | the other | Halfdan | Olaf and Solvi raised two sons, one called Ingjald and the other Halfdan.
17. Þau Hálfdan ok Ása áttu tvá syni, Eystein ok Guðröð. | they | proper noun, name: Halfdan | and, also | Asa | they raised | two | sons | Eystein | and, also | Guthrod | Halfdan and Asa raised two sons, Eystein and Gudroth.
19. Hann varð sóttdauðr á Þótni, ok var Hann fluttr á Heiðmörk ok heygðr þar. | he | became | dead by illness | at | Thotn | and, also | was | he | carried, conveyed | to | Heithmark | and, also | was buried | there | He died from illness at Thotn, and he was conveyed to Heithmark and was buried there.
21. Hans sonr var Helgi, faðir Ingjalds, föður Óláfs hvíta, er átti Unni ina djúpúðgu, dóttur Ketils flatnefs. | he | son | was | Helgi | father | Ingjald's, of Ingjald | father's, of father | Olafs, of Olaf | white | who | married | Unna | the | cunning | daughter | of Ketil, Ketil's | flatnose (nickname) | His son was Helgi, father of Ingjald, father of Olaf the white who married Unna the cunning, the daughter of Ketil flatnose.
28. Hálfdan hét sonr hans, er konungdóm tók eptir hann. | Halfdan | was called, was known as, was named | son | his | who | kingship | took | afterwards | he | His son was called Halfdan, who succeeded him for the kingship.
34. Guðröðr hét sonr þeira, er konungdóm tók eptir föður sinn. | Gudrod | was called | son | their | who | kinship | took | after | father's, of father | his | Their son was called Guthrod who succeeded to the kingship after his father.
37. Þau áttu tvá sonu. | they | they raised | two | sons | They had two sons.
40. hafði Ása, kona hans, eggjat mann til at drepa hann, því at Guðröðr konungr hafði áðr drepa látit Harald konung, föður hennar, ok Gyrð, son hans. | he had | Asa | woman, wife | his | incite, urge, egg on | until | to | to kill | he | because, on account of | because, on account of | Gudrod | king | he had | before | to kill | ruled, proclaimed, ordered | Harald | king | father's, of father | her, of her | and, also | Gyrd | son | his | His wife, Asa, urged a man to kill him, because King Guthrod had previously allowed King Harold to kill her father and Gyrd his son (her brother).
44. Hann var allra manna mestr ok sterkastr ok fríðastr sýnum. | he | was | all | of men | greatest | as | mightiest, most valiant | and, also | most peaceful | of sons??? | He was the best of all men, and the strongest, and most peaceful of sons.
46. Ása in stórráða fór norðr á Agðir með Hálfdan, son sinn, hann var þá vertgamall, ok helt hún þá því ríki, er faðir hennar hafði átt. | Ása | the | ambitious | travelled | north | to, into | to Agtha | with | Halfdan | son | his | he | was | he | old, ancient | and, also | held | she | he | that | realm, kingdom, rule, kingship | which, when | father | her, of her | he had for himself | | Asa the ambitious travelled north of Agthr with Halfdan, his son, who was by that time full grown, and she was held then to be powerful by what her father had accomplished.
47. Hálfdan óx upp með Ásu, móður sinni, ok var hann brátt mikill maðr ok sterkr ok svartr á hár, ok því var hann kallaðr Hálfdan svarti. | Halfdan | axe??? | up | with | Asa | mother | his own | and, also | was | he | | great, large, many | man | and, also | valiant, brave | and, also | dark, black | in, as to | hair | and, also | thus | was | he | is called | Halfdan | the black | Halfdan grew up with his mother Asa and he was soon a mighty man and strong and dark of hair and for this he was called Halfdan the Black.
©2013 Tom Wulf