Getting Started Exercises
- Make sure you can connect to your Unix machine (using the connection software of your choice).
Once connected, make sure you can log onto this system with your username and password.
- Once successfully logged into your system, make sure you can identify the command-line
prompt (typically something like $ or %). Make sure you understand this is where commands
- Make sure you can successfully log off of your Unix system.
- Once you are comfortable with 1-3 above, use the man command from the command line to view the
pages for a simple command, such as ls. Pay close attention to the major headings and sections.
Take the time to familiarize yourself with the navigation keys such as:
- the forward and back keys
- the spacebar
- the key to quit the man program
- Practice the above until you are sure you are comfortable with and understand these tasks.
©2003-2004, Mark A. Thomas. All Rights Reserved.