Roman A Jandarov
Kettering Lab Complex
COM EH Bio Jandarov Lab - 0056
Kettering Laboratory, Room 146
Cincinnati, Ohio 45267
Roman Jandarov, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of biostatistics and bioinformatics in the Department of Environmental Health at the University of Cincinnati. His current research interests and experience span a range of topics including space-time processes, approaches to dimension reduction, air pollution epidemiology, modeling the dynamics of infectious diseases, complex computer experiments, statistical computing, and Bayesian inference, with applications to biomedical research.
Prior to joining the University of Cincinnati, Dr. Jandarov was a postdoctoral senior research fellow in the Department of Biostatistics at the University of Washington. At the University of Washington, his postdoctoral research focused on statistical problems arising in air pollution epidemiology. Dr. Jandarov obtained his Ph.D. from the Department of Statistics at Penn State University in 2012. In his doctoral dissertation, Dr. Jandarov developed inferential methods and statistical tools for infectious disease and population dynamics models and collaborated with leading experts in the field of infectious diseases. Dr. Jandarov also holds a Specialist degree in Mathematics (combined undergraduate and graduate degree equivalent of M.S. in U.S.) from Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Ph.D. (with GPA = 4.0), Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2012 (Statistics)
Specialist (with GPA = 4.0, Summa Cum Laude ), Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia, 2007 (Mathematics: Functional Analysis)
Contributions to spatial statistics with applications to air pollution studies
My students and I develop novel methods and models for statistical dimension reduction and prediction for high dimensional air pollution data. These methods solve issues related to dimensionality and spatial misalignment in health effects studies of exposure to air pollution mixtures. The methods can also be used to obtain exposure estimates in air pollution cohort studies. See related publications below.
- Jandarov RA, Sheppard L, Sampson P, Szpiro A. A novel principal component analysis for spatially misaligned multivariate air pollution data. J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat. 2017 Jan;66(1):3-28. doi: 10.1111/rssc.12148. Epub 2016 Apr 6. PMID: 28239196; PMCID: PMC5321560.
- Brokamp C, Jandarov RA, Rao MB, LeMasters G, Ryan P. Exposure assessment models for elemental components of particulate matter in an urban environment: a comparison of regression and random forest approaches. Atmos Environ (1994). 2017 Feb;151:1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.11.066. Epub 2016 Dec 1. PMID: 28959135; PMCID: PMC5611888.
- Cox J, Indugula R, Vesper S, Zhu, Z, Jandarov RA, Reponen T. Comparison of indoor air sampling and dust collection methods for fungal exposure assessment using quantitative PCR. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2017;19(10):1312-1319. doi: 10.1039/c7em00257b. PMID: 28858343; PMCID: PMC5884110.
- Brokamp C, Rao MB, Ryan P, Jandarov RA. A comparison of resampling and recursive partitioning methods in random forest for estimating the asymptotic variance using the infinitesimal jackknife. Stat. 2017;6(1):360-72.
Tobacco smoke exposure and related disparities among U.S. children and adolescents
My team’s extensive publications on tobacco smoke exposure have made it clear that a large proportion of children and adolescents in the U.S. are still exposed to neurotoxicants present in tobacco smoke. We found that the highest rates of tobacco smoke exposure, as measured by serum cotinine, are among children who are non-Hispanic black, have low income, and live in rented homes.
- Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Choi K, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Tobacco smoke exposure disparities persist in U.S. children: NHANES 1999-2014. Prev Med. 2019;123:138-142. PMID: 30902698; PMCID: PMC6534457
- Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Adolescent tobacco smoke exposure, respiratory symptoms, and emergency department utilization. Pediatrics. 2018;42(3): e20180266. PMID: 30082449
- Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Association of secondhand smoke exposure with asthma symptoms, medication use, and healthcare utilization among asthmatic adolescents. J Asthma. 2018;56(4):369-379. PMID: 29641269; PMCID: PMC6181790
- Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Khoury JC, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Tobacco smoke exposure association with lipid profiles and adiposity among U.S. adolescents. J Adolescent Health. 2018;62(4):463-470. PMID: 29224987; PMCID: PMC5866739
Contributions to spatial statistics with applications to infectious diseases
I have developed and implemented novel approaches to inference for infectious disease dynamics models with spatiotemporal data. These new approaches focus on the biological characteristics of the dynamical process that are of scientific interest and are based on approximation to the model using key summary statistics obtained from simulations of the model at differing parameter values. In general, the approach can be useful for a wide array of problems where likelihood functions are intractable or when traditional likelihood-based inference does not produce reasonable estimators or predictions.
1. Jandarov RA, Haran M, Bjornstad, O, Grenfell B. Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease, J Royal Statistical Society: Series C. 2014; 63(3):423-444.
2. Jandarov RA, Haran M, Ferrari M. A compartmental model for meningitis: separating transmission from climate effects on disease incidence. J Agr Biol Envir St. 2012; 17(3):395-416. 3. Jandarov RA. Inference with Implicit Likelihoods for Infectious Disease Models, 2012, Doctoral dissertation. Pennsylvania State University Electronic Theses and Dissertations database.
Child tobacco smoke exposure and related health effects and healthcare utilization pattern
I have significant experience in developing and applying statistical methods and tools to analyzing complex original and secondary research data to assess the associations between child tobacco smoke exposure measured using biomarkers and related health effects and healthcare utilization patterns.
1. Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Mahabee-Gittens EM. High cotinine and healthcare utilization disparities among low-income children. Am J Prev Med. In press.
2. Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Gordon JS, Lyons MS, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Child tobacco smoke exposure and healthcare resource utilization patterns. Pediatr Res. In press.
3. Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Tobacco smoke exposure, respiratory health, and healthcare utilization among U.S. adolescents. CHEST. 2020;1-11. [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2020.03.038
4. Merianos AL, Jandarov RA, Mahabee-Gittens EM. Secondhand smoke exposure and pediatric healthcare visits and hospitalizations. Am J Prev Med. 2018;53(4):441-448. PMID: 28532658; PMCID: PMC5610064
Contributions to applied functional analysis
In the past, I developed optimization methods for solving complex partial differential equations. These methods guaranteed asymptotic convergence of the approximate solutions of the finite dimensional problems to the solution of the infinite dimensional differential equations and outlined strategies for fast implementation of the proposed algorithms.
1. Jandarov RA. On convergence of eigenvalues for positive definite differential operators in Galerkin method”. 2007. In Russian. Moscow State University Diploma Dissertations and Theses.
2. Jandarov RA. Spectral pollution and second-order relative spectra for self-adjoint operators. 2004. In Russian. Moscow State University Diploma Dissertations and Theses.
Please cantact me for the full list of active grants and contracts.
Grant: #309186 / R01ES030743 Investigators:Jandarov, Roman; Merianos, Ashley 08-15-2019 -07-31-2024 National Institutes of Health R01 Sub from CCHMC Role:Collaborator $23,125.00 Awarded Level:Federal
Grant: #R01ES027815 Investigators:Mahabee-Gittens 2020 -2022 NIH/NIEHS Contribution of Thirdhand Smoke to Overall Tobacco Smoke Exposure in Pediatric Patients Role:Co-I Active Type:Grant Level:National
Grant: #R01ES030743 Investigators:Mahabee-Gittens 2019 -2024 NIH/NIEHS Prevalence and Correlates of Thirdhand Smoke Exposure in a Pediatric Patient Population Role:Co-I Active Type:Grant Level:National
Grant: #K01DA044313 S1 Investigators:Merianos 2019 -2021 NIH/NIDA Reducing Secondhand Smoke Exposure Among Pediatric Patients in the Emergency Department Setting Role:Co-I Active Type:Grant Level:National
Grant: #K01DA044313 Investigators:Merianos 2017 -2022 NIH/NIDA Reducing Secondhand Smoke Exposure Among Pediatric Patients in the Emergency Department Setting Role:Co-I Active Type:Grant Grant: #P30ES006096 Investigators:Pinney 2002 -2022 Center for Environmental Genetics (CEG) Role:Co-Director of Pilot Programs Active Type:Grant
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O. and Grenfell, B. (2014. )Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series C, ,63 (3 ),23-444.
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2018. )The Journal of asthma : official journal of the Association for the Care of Asthma, ,1-11
Brokamp, Cole; Jandarov, Roman; Hossain, Monir; Ryan, Patrick (2018. )Environmental science & technology, ,52 (7 ),4173-4179
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Khoury, Jane C; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2018. )The Journal of adolescent health : official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, ,62 (4 ),463-470
Jandarov, R., Haran, M. and Ferrari, M. (2012) A compartmental model for meningitis: separating transmission from climate effects on disease incidence. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, ,17 (3 ),395-416.
Sopirala, Madhuri M; Syed, Asma; Jandarov, Roman; Lewis, Margaret (2018. )American journal of infection control, ,
Penno, Katie; Jandarov, Roman A; Sopirala, Madhuri M (2017)American journal of infection control, ,45 (11 ),1208-1213
Cox, Jennie; Indugula, Reshmi; Vesper, Stephen; Zhu, Zheng; Jandarov, Roman; Reponen, Tiina (2017)Environmental science. Processes & impacts, ,19 (10 ),1312-1319
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2017)American journal of preventive medicine, ,53 (4 ),441-448
Brokamp, Cole; Jandarov, Roman; Rao, M B; LeMasters, Grace; Ryan, Patrick (2017)Atmospheric environment (Oxford, England : 1994), ,151 ,1-11
Jandarov, Roman A; Sheppard, Lianne A; Sampson, Paul D; Szpiro, Adam A (2017)Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series C, Applied statistics, ,66 (1 ),3-28
Vangipuram, Ramya; Vaidya, Toral; Jandarov, Roman; Alikhan, Ali (2016. )Dermatology (Basel, Switzerland), ,232 (6 ),692-695
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2020. )Chest, ,158 (3 ),1104-1114
Sengupta, Ruchira; Loftus, Timothy M; Doers, Matthew; Jandarov, Roman A; Phillips, Michael; Ko, Jonathan; Panos, Ralph J; Zafar, Muhammad A (2020).Academic emergency medicine : official journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, ,
Vuong, Ann M; Xie, Changchun; Jandarov, Roman; Dietrich, Kim N; Zhang, Hongmei; Sjödin, Andreas; Calafat, Antonia M; Lanphear, Bruce P; McCandless, Lawrence; Braun, Joseph M; Yolton, Kimberly; Chen, Aimin (2020. )International journal of hygiene and environmental health, ,228 ,113527
Gupta, Resmi; Khoury, Jane C; Altaye, Mekibib; Jandarov, Roman; Szczesniak, Rhonda D (2020. )Journal of diabetes research, ,2020 ,3074532
Cox, Jennie; Ryan, Patrick; Burkle, Jeff; Jandarov, Roman; Mendell, Mark J; Hershey, Gurjit Khurana; LeMasters, Grace; Reponen, Tiina (2020. )Environmental epidemiology (Philadelphia, Pa.), ,4 (4 ),e101
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Gordon, Judith S; Lyons, Michael S; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2020. )Pediatric research, ,
Wajda, Nikolai; Zhu, Zheng; Jandarov, Roman; Dilling, Daniel F; Gupta, Nishant (2020. )Respirology (Carlton, Vic.), ,25 (6 ),644-650
Weber, Danielle E; Held, Justin D; Jandarov, Roman A; Kelleher, Matthew; Kinnear, Ben; Sall, Dana; O'Toole, Jennifer K (2020. )Journal of general internal medicine, ,35 (4 ),1078-1083
James, Christine; Bernstein, David I; Cox, Jennie; Ryan, Patrick; Wolfe, Christopher; Jandarov, Roman; Newman, Nicholas; Indugula, Reshmi; Reponen, Tiina (2020. )Indoor air, ,30 (2 ),235-243
Gulati, Shuchi; Desai, Janki; Palackdharry, Sarah M; Morris, John C; Zhu, Zheng; Jandarov, Roman; Riaz, Muhammad K; Takiar, Vinita; Mierzwa, Michelle; Gutkind, J Silvio; Molinolo, Alfredo; Desai, Pankaj B; Sadraei, Nooshin Hashemi; Wise-Draper, Trisha M (2020. )Cancer, ,126 (2 ),354-362
Liao, Siyun; Rhodes, Judith; Jandarov, Roman; DeVore, Zachary; Sopirala, Madhuri M (2020. )Open forum infectious diseases, ,7 (2 ),ofaa002
Gangal, Neha S; Hincapie, Ana L; Jandarov, Roman; Frede, Stacey M; Boone, Jill M; MacKinnon, Neil J; Koechlin, Kathleen; DeFiore-Hyrmer, Jolene; Holthusen, Amy; Heaton, Pamela C (2020. )JAMA network open, ,3 (1 ),e1920310
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Klein, Jonathan D; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2019. )American journal of health promotion : AJHP, ,33 (8 ),1115-1122
Chen, Aimin; Jandarov, Roman; Zhou, Li; Calafat, Antonia M; Zhang, Ge; Urbina, Elaine M; Sarac, Jelena; Augustin, Dubravka Havas; Caric, Tonko; Bockor, Luka; Petranovic, Matea Zajc; Novokmet, Natalija; Missoni, Sasa; Rudan, Pavao; Deka, Ranjan (2019. )The Science of the total environment, ,683 ,29-36
Khawar, Muhammad Umair; Yazdani, Dina; Zhu, Zheng; Jandarov, Roman; Dilling, Daniel F; Gupta, Nishant (2019. )The Journal of heart and lung transplantation : the official publication of the International Society for Heart Transplantation, ,38 (9 ),949-955
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Choi, Kelvin; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2019. )Preventive medicine, ,123 ,138-142
Isiugo, Kelechi; Jandarov, Roman; Cox, Jennie; Ryan, Patrick; Newman, Nicholas; Grinshpun, Sergey A; Indugula, Reshmi; Vesper, Steven; Reponen, Tiina (2019. )The Science of the total environment, ,663 ,408-417
Isiugo, Kelechi; Jandarov, Roman; Cox, Jennie; Chillrud, Steve; Grinshpun, Sergey A; Hyttinen, Marko; Yermakov, Michael; Wang, Julian; Ross, James; Reponen, Tiina (2019. )Atmospheric environment (Oxford, England : 1994), ,201 ,223-230
Haque, Sulsal; Karivedu, Vidhya; Riaz, Muhammed K; Choi, David; Roof, Logan; Hassan, Sarah Z; Zhu, Zheng; Jandarov, Roman; Takiar, Vinita; Tang, Alice; Wise-Draper, Trisha (2019. )Oral oncology, ,88 ,9-15
Haynes, Erin N; Hilbert, Timothy J; Roberts, Rusty; Quirolgico, John; Shepler, Rachael; Beckner, Gerry; Veevers, Jennifer; Burkle, Jeff; Jandarov, Roman (2019. )Progress in community health partnerships : research, education, and action, ,13 (2 ),141-151
Cox, Jennie; Isiugo, Kelechi; Ryan, Patrick; Grinshpun, Sergey A; Yermakov, Michael; Desmond, Colleen; Jandarov, Roman; Vesper, Stephen; Ross, James; Chillrud, Steven; Dannemiller, Karen; Reponen, Tiina (2018. )Indoor air, ,28 (6 ),818-827
Isiugo, Kelechi; Newman, Nicholas; Jandarov, Roman; Grinshpun, Sergey A; Reponen, Tiina (2018. )Journal of occupational and environmental hygiene, ,15 (11 ),782-791
Merianos, Ashley L; Jandarov, Roman A; Mahabee-Gittens, E Melinda (2018. )Pediatrics, ,142 (3 ),
2012-2014 Senior Research Fellow, Worked at University of Washington Center for Clear Air Research (UW CCAR) projects on the cardiovascular health effects of air pollution, University of Washinton, ,Seattle, WA